Thursday, June 24, 2010

Mark Twain's Last Trilogy - 100 Years After Death



I was thrilled to find out at my Self Publishing Class that Mark Twain will be publishing his last words on paper as a trilogy (3 books) 1/5 million words to be exact. In 1910 (year of his death) he left instructions for this book to be published 100 years after his passing.
It's 2010 and I'm extremely excited to be reading what I think would be his Magnum Opus.
I've read the reviews regarding the first part of his trilogy being publish in Nov. 2010. I'm definitely curious to know what he thought about the world and the things he could not say or express back in 1910; when our world was very different and most subjects were taboo.

When I first heard of Mark Twain it was from one of his many quotes. Quotes have always fascinated me and his quotes are my favorites. Very controversial for his time and his honesty always brought a smile to my face. Back in my country they would play on T.V. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Being 9 years old in an all Spanish speaking country; the old Tom Sawyer tales were not entertaining, well T.V was not much entertaining for me. I was more interested in exploring the world and riding my bike with friends; but when I realized  6 years later that Mark Twain was the writer behind the story; I figured his writing has been following me since childhood and when this things happen in my life, when things just connect, I just can't ignore them.
Following are my favorite quotes form Mark Twain:


The Wit and Wisdom of Mark TwainA man cannot be comfortable without his own approval.

A round man cannot be expected to fit in a square hole right away. He must have time to modify his shape.

Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.


Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.

The Quotable Mark Twain: His Essential Aphorisms, Witticisms & Concise OpinionsCivilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

Education consists mainly of what we have unlearned.

Grief can take care if itself, but to get the full value of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with.

How to Tell a Story and Other Essays (Dodo Press)Humor is mankind's greatest blessing.

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened.

I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell - you see, I have friends in both places.



If the world comes to an end, I want to be in Cincinnati. Everything comes there ten years later.

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Mark Twain - A Film Directed by Ken BurnsIt is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare.

It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.


It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.


Lord save us all from a hope tree that has lost the faculty of putting out blossoms.

My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it.

Name the greatest of all inventors. Accident.

Patriot: the person who can holler the loudest without knowing what he is hollering about.

No comments:

Post a Comment